Saturday, November 6, 2010

Single Speed and Selfish

Redline 925. commuter bike. 
My name is Neal.

I'm 34 years old.

I weigh a few pounds more than I should thanks to the last half decade of jobs sitting behind desks punching buttons on a computer and jabbering on the phone.

I am the typical overworked, underpaid American.

I hold a faceless, thankless middle management position for a major corporation.
I don't own a home and I probably won't anytime soon.

I live with my girlfriend of nearly 4 years.

We have a dog, two cats, two cars, a truck and 5 bicycles... 4 of which are mine.

I am the face of the new mid-life crisis.....save for one simple thing:

I am a bicycle commuter and a militant cyclist.
I don't do it because I hate cars.

I love cars!
I am, in fact, a car nut.

I have more speeding tickets than you do.

I don't do it because I'm some militant eco-hippie. Those sons of bitches piss me off.

I'm not trying to save the world.

I'm equal parts anarchist and cyclist.

I do it because I lack patience and direction. I hate sitting in traffic. I hate stupid drivers. I hate stop lights and I hate being told what to do.

I hate paying $3.50 a gallon and the hour long trip to and from work is the only thing saving my last shred of sanity.

I do it for me.

I'm selfish.

Welcome to the REAL commuter blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment