Monday, November 15, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things

With the holidays right around the corner, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite commuter goodies with my dear reader(s?) so as to give you more stuff to add to the ever growing "stuff I want" list.

As a year round bike commuter and enthusiast, I prefer function and simplicity over form and style. I    live in the Pacific northwest, so I need gear that works in all kinds of weather. My tax bracket is also a bit below the average cycling enthusiast, so my budgets tend to be small and I try to buy stuff that will last multiple seasons.

First on the list is my Manhattan Portage Pro Bike Messenger bag...size Large.  I love this bag. I use it almost daily.


Manhattan Portage has long been known as the original New York messenger bag.

Pro Bike Messenger Bag W/Stripes  (LG) (1611)At 2400 cubic inches, the pro model is certainly large enough for just about any commuter to carry tools, work clothes, lunch, etc. it's PVC lined interior is waterproof....period. I'm pretty sure I could go through a hurricane and keep the contents of my messenger bag dry. It's single strap design works well when loaded, but does tend to slide around without anything substantial inside.  I've been using this bag for over a year for everything from commuting to grocery store runs, and it still looks like new. My only complaint about the bag is that it could use more small pockets for things like phones, cameras, pens, etc. The bag does have a large zippered pocket under the flap up front, and a smaller zippered inside pocket as well as a large exterior pocket for tools, maps, and other random items. The flap and back of the bag have silver reflective striping as well as safety yellow reflective stripes.

A large size bag will run you about $100. I got mine on clearance via the interwebs for around 80
smackers.



Pearl iZUMi Men's X-Alp Seek Cycling ShoeSecond up is a pair of  Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek shoes. They look and function much like running shoes, enabling you to walk around town while off the bike without slipping and clicking around a duck on ice.  Their incognito looks go well with bike shorts or blue jeans. The mesh uppers keep your feet cool in the summer while drying quickly after getting stuck in a downpour. i use mine for mountain biking too, and they get pretty good traction in the mud too!
Around $90.

The Red Ledge Thunderlight lightweight rain jacket is the pacific Northwest bike commuter's savior. It's light, breathes well (as well as a rain jacket can) and stuffs into its own pocket or small stuff sack so it takes up minimal space in your messenger bag, pack or pannier. It's not a cycling specific jacket, so I bought it a size larger than normal so it covers my tail side. Under 40 bucks.


I've been riding the same pair of Canari Static Jammer gloves for three or four years now. I use them mainly for commuting, but I do take them mountain biking from time to time. They are windproof, highly water resistant and tough as Chuck Norris. Even when they are soaking wet, they do a good job of keeping your digits warm. At under $30, I'd say you can't beat 'em.
7015_0bk_300_main.png
Louis Garneau Power Seal Shoe CoverLouis Garneau makes these nifty shoe covers called the Power Seal. They keep your feet absolutely dry and toasty warm.  Plus they make you look fast.
A must for Pac NW winter riding.
Fitty dollah.

No comments:

Post a Comment